We all know that as you age, you tend to develop wrinkles and lines. What’s less commonly known is where those artifacts of aging come from. That answer is important because the “wrinkle ecosystem” around the eyes is rather complex and the wrinkles produced can become rather pronounced. But what causes those wrinkles, and how does aging affect the way you look?
In order to answer this question, it’s useful to look at the brow. The brow is the area of skin directly above your eyebrows. As such, the brow is one area of the face that is responsible for a great deal of the emoting we do. When you’re happy, sad, irritated, or thoughtful, it shows up in your brow.
So let’s take a look at what causes the appearance of aging in the brow to see if we can get a handle on where all these wrinkles come from!
Multiple Types of Wrinkles in the Brow
There are many areas of your face which have a predominant type of wrinkle or line. Your brow is not one of those areas; in fact, there are many “types” of wrinkles that manifest in the brow. This means that there are a few mechanisms at work in the brow:
- Excess Skin: Over time, your skin loses elasticity. At the same time, gravity is slowly pulling down on your skin. So, eventually, you’ll develop some excess tissue. The only problem is that excess skin doesn’t really have anywhere to go, so it will fold and tumble over itself. This creates wrinkles and lines.
- Concentration Lines: Your brow is also an area in which you might begin to show what are called “concentration lines.” These lines and wrinkles form due to the muscles beneath the skin. The muscles get stuck in a “contracted” position and as a result, you end up with wrinkles “stuck” on your face.
- Condition of the Skin: Some wrinkles form due to the simple condition of the skin. Keeping your skin hydrated and healthy can help you prevent certain types of wrinkles, lines, and skin damage from appearing in the first place.
Whatever causes your wrinkles, patients may want to address them for a wide variety of reasons. Wrinkles in the brow can change the way you express yourself—they can make you look tired, angry, and aged. Luckily, there are several solutions to a wrinkly brow.
How Do I Get Rid of Wrinkles in the Brow?
Dr. Rostami and Dr. Nazemzadeh offer several solutions to wrinkles on the brow, each one calibrated to eliminate a specific type of wrinkle. Those treatments include:
- Injection of dermal fillers: If you are suffering from excess skin (or volume loss), the solution can be the injection of dermal fillers. By adding volume to the skin, the wrinkles and lines will be minimized.
- Injection of Botox or Dysport: For those lines and wrinkles that are caused by contracted muscles, a neuromodulator, such as Botox or Dysport, will be needed to help you get a more youthful look. Botox and Dysport can eliminate wrinkles and help smooth the skin on your brow for months at a time.
- Brow Lift with Local Anesthesia: When you want to get rid of all kinds of wrinkles and get a bigger, bolder result at the same time, a brow lift with local anesthesia can be an excellent treatment. This minimally invasive facial surgery procedure eliminates excess skin and makes the brow smooth. Your younger looking brow will be more expressive and less oppressive!
If you want to eliminate the wrinkles or lines crowding into your brow area, contact Dr. Rostami or Dr. Nazemzadeh to schedule a confidential consultation. We’ll discuss your best brow options as well as what you can do about the rest of your wrinkles. Get started on your transformation today!